folks become aware of the goodness that can make a difference, to name a few, + share these simple ways that work..

          permaculture, agro-ecology + perennial natural food forrests..

  are ethical design system's for creating human environments that are ecologically sound & economically viable. It integrates innovative science into the conscious development of cultivated ecosystems that have the diversity, stability, & resilience of natural ecosystems.

we have a broad perspective to relfect with. but never forget to go local
within yourself + your own feelings, edit out the baggage + allow the root of earth's energy to come thru + fuel you to connect with all those sensitive do_in. as with the locals close that simply continue to build on ways that work.

we shouldn't have to collaborate such extensive mechanisms. rather simple folks should have opportunity to take part in growing along with those that have the land. the community should simply rezone land so it has no fee, rather it is food for the community that all can work as plots of land are established according to what land speaks for it's potential. small pieces planted + foraged. as all land contributes.

   the secret is to gather those sensitive to decipher what to do where + build biodiversity.

as much as i respect all that i support, never should so much technicalities have to be put into thought:
             policy, paper work + legistics, layers, etc.. all this good energy each of these folks have can be better directed to help folks understand how to feed ourselves + live local.

join together with your local space + merge the life to define how best to
sustain a balanced harmony that all can obtain.

                      reflect with folks + bring home what is simple common sense.

Permaculture Now!
To learn about the Permaculture Farm Incubator Project outside Portland, Oregon please visit Community By Design's new website: www.communitybydesignllc.org
Next Generation Permaculture
Welcome, and thank you for visiting the Permaculture Now! website.

We hope you enjoy learning about our programs, projects and practices for building thriving and abundant communities. Our team works mostly in the Pacific Northwest, Central America, and Hawai'i, and we collaborate extensively with a dynamic network of permaculturalists throughout the world.

Our mission is to:

•Teach and practice sustainable design
•Promote intergenerational skill-sharing
•Develop and showcase appropriate technologies
•Support local economies and self-sufficiency initiatives
•Create a network of permaculture plant nurseries
•Eat delicious locally grown food with friends and neighbors
•Consume less, share more, and have fun!
Here you'll find information about our design courses, workshops, ongoing design projects, plant nurseries, and more!

"Conscious permaculture design reweaves the web of fertile and sophisticated landscapes where humans, plants, animals, and our collective spirits belong and are welcome."
Jenny Pell
Former tree planter, helicopter pilot, carpenter, and yurt builder, Jenny manages many of the Permaculture Now! projects. Based out of Seattle, WA Jenny works in Washington State, Central America, Hawaii, and Europe organizing design courses, recruiting students, managing business details, and fundraising for scholarships, curriculum development, and our nursery projects. Her slideshows and presentations inform, inspire, and motivate people to make changes that help move us towards a sustainable future.

Email: jennypell@gmail.com
Web: www.permaculturenow.com
Phone: (206) 949-0496 (USA)
end Jenny.

Miguel Altieri
Professor
Ph.D.  Entomology    University of Florida

215 Mulford Hall
Berkeley, California 94720
agroeco3@berkeley.edu
office: 510-642-9802   lab: 510-642-9802   fax:  510-643-5438

Web site         Recent publications      People

Biological control agro-ecology
Research Interests
Our research group uses the concepts of agroecology to obtain a deep understanding of the nature of agroecosystems and the principles by which they function. Throughout our research and writings we have aided in the emergence of agroecology as the discipline that provides the basic ecological principles for how to study, design, and manage sustainable agroecosystems that are both productive and natural resource conserving, and that are also culturally-sensitive, socially-just and economically viable. In particular, our research has focused on the ways in which biodiversity can contribute to the design of pest-stable agroecosystems. Several of our studies concentrate on elucidating the effects of intercropping, covercropping, weed management, and crop-field border vegetation manipulation on pest population density and damage and on the mechanisms enhancing biological control in diversified systems.

Our research has also extended into Latin America where the enhancement of biodiversity in agriculture can help the great mass of resource-poor farmers to achieve year-round food self-sufficiency, reduce their reliance on chemical inputs and develop agroecosystems that rebuild the production capacities of their small land holdings. Our approach has consisted of devising integrated farming systems emphasizing soil and water conservation, natural crop protection, and achievement of soil fertility and stable yields through integration of trees, animals, and crops. Much of this work is conducted through inter-institutional partnerships with NGOs, International Research Centers and Universities including networks such as SANE, ANGOC and CLADES, as well as international organizations such as UNDP and the CGIAR.

  Understanding the ecological mechanisms underlying the sustainability of traditional vineyards intercropped with olives in Tuscany, Italy

The Altieri Lab at UC Berkeley
Advances in Vineyard Agroecology: http://agroecology.berkeley.edu/

Current Projects
Our laboratory is involved in several field projects in California where we are testing ideas of landscape ecology applied to agriculture such as the use of biological corridors in pest management. The idea is to explore whether corridors can break the nature of monocultures by serving as a conduit for the dispersion of natural enemies within the field thus enhancing their impact on pest populations. The effects of summer cover crops on insect pest populations (grape leafhoppers, thrips and sharpshooters) and associated natural enemies is also being examined in vineyards. Of special interest is to determine whether timing mowing of   cover crops in alternate rows can force movement of beneficials to adjacent vines to exert greater pest suppression.

Our group is also engaged in collaborative work with a number of Universities, NGOs and research centers in Africa, Asia and Latin America promoting research, training and capacity building in agroecology and sustainable agriculture.
end Miguel.

                      Perennial food forests is what people should be planting along with Jenny + Miguel's insight or one similar for local biome, to lay out the land + listen to what it speaks for it's potential, etc.
             for enough foraging for ecosystem to sustain, people + wildlife. to choose variety + what you like. vs. foraging only what folks used to. plus keeps coming vs. planting new each year.

This starts with a`way folks coming together, do overview of shared resources to then add what is zoned (meaning good folks locally get together to make a guideline that works)to change, etc. + or clean up with others wasteful inefficiencies, in a `tapering transition.. to truly plug into building ecosystems to support biome, etc. + even if non local, passing by, good to add hands on part time + exchange, then to take with you ideals to fine tune with the next ecosystem.

                    This way we gain local knowledge, ex;
                           urban + residential soils have higher lead in 1 to 2 inches then native soils. unless landscaped or excavated for building. from 1910 to 1950 they sprayed lead-arsenate in fruit + nut orchards. so these sites elevated. or from lead in gasoline or paints.  it can stick to skin + clothing, also in airborne soil dust.

                                      Or when one puts soup on oil + it disappears in seawater, making you believe it is all gone. WRONG! did ya know when we use soap to disburse fuel on sea water, it breaks into tiny balls that go down + pollute marine life, then it ends up back up. so no soap is to be used in sea water here.

                    Make happy play somewhere in the dirt + water for all the little ones, a child gains most by this at a young age??
                          bare soil areas carry highest risk of lead exposure. so no good near roads or even to plant adjacent to house, shed or structure. you can collect soil for lead content, fee? especially houses built before 1960. painted a lot. or when animals dig can bring soil/contaminated dust on them + transfer to those that pet them.
                                    vegs don't absorb but get dust on them so wash in water with vinegar 1 percent or roots if lead in soil. they say take off outer leaf + peel roots if think lead. cover bare ground helps, another reason for ER triaging the environment + quickly add perennials, those that don't require frequent tilling. or in garden - plant transplants then mulch right away. you can manage by testing + add supplements to soil. but if contaminated cannot change - must remove soil, say some. Others have had luck as in after Katrina hurricane in New Orleans,  + New York, US, using mycelium/mushroom tea. can make lead free tested for suitable use.

                    this changed my ideal of planting food in city vacant lots, had to  rethink with locals with sensitivity + how tos..

        this makes sprouting at home all the more fun to appreciate these         nice seeds that where nurtured for sprouting, from good natural small farms. Or until small plots reborn.
                          t`s nice to sprout mung 1 day later then others if mix with variety or separately, unless you know secret to make them big. i`ve tried different ways with no luck getting them big. the small fresh early is very good. the minute they get bigger the root end is tiny + rots.  the other sprouting seeds that germinate late, i put in dirt + they come out really tasty. nice + green, then i rinse off dirt + eat. very healthy plants. may like this better then rinsing + eating earlier, experiment. new mung shoots a few days + soaked sunflower with lime/lemon ASAP are a true treat with the greens grown in dirt.

Fun learning together!
end our combined' effect..

http://www.perennialharvest.org/uploads/3/5/7/2/3572553/usefulplantsforthepacificnorthwest_trifold.pdf.

              Did you know that you can have fresh salad year-round, delicious fruit that is in season through the winter, and popular beverages such as green tea all from your own backyard?
                   There are thousands of plants that are suited to grow in sustainable edible forest gardens in the Pacific Northwest. Increased agro-biodiversity and sustainable cultivation practices can lead to improved human health and security.
                      By increasing food production where you live, especially in the form of an edible forest garden, you can shift your ecological impact from negative towards positive. Forest gardens provide food for people and wildlife. Even the smallest garden can provide surprising amounts of food in addition to the beauty and enjoyment they offer.
                   The following list is a sampling of some of the plants available for Pacific Northwest gardeners. A list of resources is included to encourage further investigation. Do not consume plants until you know which part to eat and how to prepare them. Even common plants such as rhubarb and potatoes have poisonous leaves.

Key:
P=perennial, SSA=self-seeding annual, B=biennial, F=fruit, S=seed, N=nut, NF=nitrogen fixer, Z=hardiness zone
                      *should be steamed, **should be cooked
                      #=needs special conditions
                    Your assistance can help Perennial Harvest reach our goals. For those with more           money than time, donations are essential in making our projects a success. For those with more time than money, volunteers are needed to develop a website, secure grants, raise funds, and help with outreach.

For more information, contact:
Perennial Harvest
      P.O. Box 172
Marblemount, WA 98267
                           360-333-5051
                      www.perennialharvest.org
                       perennialharvest@gmail.com

                  UUsseeffuull PPllaannttss ffoorr
                 PPaacciiffiicc NNoorrtthhwweesstt EEddiibbllee FFoorreesstt GGaarrddeennss
                        Provided by:
                    PPeerreennnniiaall HHaarrvveesstt
.
                Perennial Harvest is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to   researching, developing, and advocating sustainable cultivation systems suited to Western Wa

Salad Greens
Musk Mallow—Malva moschata, (P,Z3)
High Mallow—Malva sylvestris (P,Z5)
Perennial Arugula—Diplotaxis erucoides (P)
Good King Henry*—Chenopodium bonus-henricus (P,Z5)
Kale—Brassica oleracea (B)
Salad Burnett—Sanguisorba minor (P,Z5)
Chicory—Cichorium intybus (B,3)
Earth Chestnut—Bunium bulbocastanum (P,Z5)
Miner’s Lettuce—Claytonia perfoliata (SSA)
Corn Salad—Valerianella locusta (SSA,Z5)
Welsh Onion—Allium fistulosum (P,Z6)
Parsley—Petroselinum crispum (B)
Bellflower—Campanula glomerata (P,Z2)
Fennel—Foeniculum vulgare (P,Z5)
Japanese Forest Parsley—Cryptotaenia japonica (P,Z5)
Dandelion—Taraxacum officinale (P,Z5)
Welsh Onion—Allium fistulosum (P,Z6)

Edible Flowers
Daylily—Hemerocallis fulva (P,Z4)
Dianthus spp.(P,Z4)
Balloon flower—Platycodon(P,Z4)

Edible shoots
Asparagus—Asparagus officinalis (P,Z4)
Aralia—Aralia spinosa* (P,Z5)
Aralia chinensis* (P)
Aralia elata* (P,Z4)
Udo—Aralia cordifolia* (P)

Roots and bulbs
Jerusalem Artichoke—Helianthus tuberosus (P,Z4)
Skirret—Sium Sisarum (P,Z6)
Parsnip--Pastinaca sativa (B,Z5)
Gobo—Arctium Lappa (B,Z3)
Garlic—Allium sativum (P,Z5)
Groundnut—Apios Americana (P,Z3)
Potato—Solanum tuberosum (P)
Ramps—Allium triccocum(P,Z6)

Shrubs
Blueberry—Vaccinium corymbosom (F,Z2)
Goumi—Elaegnus multiflora (F,NF,Z6)
Green tea--Camellia sinensis(P,Z8)
Raspberry—Rubus idaeus (F,Z3)
Siberian Pea Shrub—Caragana arborescens (S,NF,Z3)
Sea Buckthorn—Hippophae rhamnoides (F, NF, Z3)

Herbal Tea
Peppermint—Mentha piperita (P,Z3)
Anise Hyssop—Agastache foeniculum (P)
Korean Mint—Agastache rugosa (P)
Bee Balm—Monarda didyma (P,Z4)
Rose hips—Rosa rogusa (P,Z2)
Green tea—Camella sinensis (P, Z
Perennial Vines
Hardy Kiwi—Actinidia arguta (F,Z4)
Akebia—Akebia quinata (F,Z5)
Mountain Yam—Dioscorea batatas (R,F,Z4)
Schizandra—Schizandra spp. (F,Z4)

Small Trees
Almond—Prunus dulcis (N,Z3) #
American persimmon—Diospyros virginiana (F,Z5)#
Apple—Malus Sylvestris (F,Z5)
Autumn olive—Elaeagnus umbellata (F,NF,Z3)
Apricot—Prunus armeniaca (F,Z4) var. Puget Gold#
Hardy Orange**—Poncirus trifoliata (F,Z5)
Cherry—Prunus avium (F, Z3)
Cornellian Cherry—Cornus mas (F,Z5)
Fig—Ficus carica (F,Z7)#
Hazelnut—Corylus spp. (N,Z4)
Serviceberry—Amelanchier spp. (F,Z4)
Ginkgo—Ginko biloba (N,Z2)
Medlar—Mespilus germanica (F,Z6)
Pawpaw—Asimina trilobata (F,Z6)
Peach—Prunus persica (F,Z6) var. Frost
Persimmon—Diospyros kaki (F,Z7/8)#
Plum—Prunus domestica (F, Z5)

Tall Trees
Chestnut species—Castanea ssp. (N,Z4-5)
Black Locust—Robinia pseudoacacia (N,Z3)
Black Walnut—Juglans nigra (N,Z4)
Walnut—Juglans regia(N,Z5)
Heartnut—Juglans ailanthifolia cordiformis(N,Z4)
Monkey Puzzle—Araucaria araucana(S,Z8)
Korean Pine Nut—Pinus koraiensis (S, Z3)

Books to Read
How to Grow a Forest Garden by Patrick Whitefield
Edible Forest Gardens published by Chelsea Green
Designing and Maintaining Your Edible-
Landscape Naturally by Robert Kourik
Gaia’s Garden by Toby Hemenway
Plants for a Future by Ken Fern

Plant Catalogs
Burnt Ridge—www.Burntridgenursery.com
Raintree—www.Raintreenursery.com
Oikos—www.Oikostreecrops.com
One Green World—www.OneGreenWorld.com
Forest Farm—www.Forestfarm.com

Seed Companies
Wild Garden Seeds—www.Wildgardenseed.com
Horizon Herbs—www.Horizonherbs.com
Nichols—www.Nicholsgardennursery.com
Goodwin Creek—Goodwincreekgardens.com
J.L. Hudson—www.JLHudsonSeeds.net Osborne—www.Osborneseed.com
Fedco—www.fedcoseeds.com

Internet
www.perennialharvest.org
www.mountvernon.wsu.edu--best local info
www.pfaf.org--Plants for a Future database
www.terracommons.org--inspiring local project
End perennial food forests.

             have a bi'joy experience + co_evolve with your work.