We must go beyond even just labeling GMO`s, say NO to any GMO`s..

I share Congressmen Peter De Fazio`s response;

Dear Mrs. Lincoln:

 Thank you for contacting me in support of labeling genetically engineered food. I appreciate hearing from you and share your concerns. You will be pleased to know that I have introduced legislation that would require mandatory federal labeling for all GE foods.

 As Co-Chair of the Congressional Organic Caucus, and one of the original authors of the Organic Food Production Act of 1990, the landmark law that established the USDA National Organic Program, I have long been concerned about the use of genetically engineered organisms in our food supply. In recent years I have led congressional efforts that urge the USDA and FDA to conduct full environmental reviews of GE organisms such as GE alfalfa seed and GE salmon.

 There are several reasons to be concerned about the growing use of GE organisms in our farm and food supply. The increasing use of pesticides can have serious impacts on human health and the surrounding environment. There are even negative economic impacts associated with GE organisms as many GE seeds cross pollinate and contaminate neighboring organic and conventional farms.

 H.R. 1699, the Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act would require that all food containing genetically engineered material be labeled as such. I strongly support consumer choice and the right to know what's in our food.  If the biotech industry is so insistent upon the safety of GE food, then they should have no problem with a mandatory food labeling law.

 You can be assured that I will continue my efforts to require federal agencies to more fully evaluate genetically engineered organisms before they are released into the environment and our food supply, and I will work to ensure proper labeling of all genetically engineered foods.

Thanks again for your message. Please keep in touch.