Victory in hard-fought struggle in defense of the human rights of peasants..

it is amazing what can happen at a potluck of fresh grown natural food, folks we can keep this good work going for their is more to do.

           congradulations to all that worked hard for this, including many people from United States, even though they did not vote for this, which was wrong.

                                      La Via Campesina reports;

UN resolution hints at a new international instrument to  promote and protect  the rights of peasants and other people working in rural areas.

The United Nations Human Rights Council adopted a landmark resolution hinting at a new instrument for the rights of the world’s estimated 1.2 billion peasants and other people working in rural areas. The resolution (A/HRC/21/L23) is monumental in light of peasants’ key role for food production—and also in the wake of contemporary challenges such as growing conflicts over land, water, and also food prices and climate crises.

The UN Human Rights Council resolution was approved on September 27, after 23 Member States voted in favour, 15 abstained and nine voted against the text[1].

The resolution is based on the report of the Advisory Committee of the UN Human Rights Council entitled “Final study of the Human Rights Council Advisory Committee on the advancement of the rights of peasants and other people working in rural areas”(A/HRC/19/75). This study was adopted by this body on the right to food in the 19th session of UN Human Rights Council (March 2012). In this session, the resolution on the right to food was adopted by consensus.

This has been a long and hard-fought struggle of La Via Campesina to break the discrimination against peasants and to bring alternatives to the table at the UN to be used as part of the UN mandate.   The UN set a standard for the promotion and protection of peasants' human rights. The rights of peasants resolution follow in the spirit of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

In article 1, it gives a definition of a peasant and other people working in rural areas. It reaffirms their rights to life and to an adequate standard of living (art. 3); their right to freedoms of association, opinion and expression (art. 12) and their right to have access to justice (art. 13). In addition, it recognizes new rights that could reinforce their protection against discrimination. These include the right to land and territory (art. 4); the right to seeds and traditional agricultural knowledge and practice (art. 5); the right to means of agricultural production (art. 6); the right to information and agricultural technology (art. 7); the freedom to determine prices and markets for agricultural production (art. 8); the right to the protection of local agricultural values (art. 9); the right to biological diversity (art. 10); and the right to preserve the environment (art. 11).

The outcry for this recognition and further protection of the rights of peasants has been a bottom-up process. This process began in Indonesia 12 years ago when a member of La Via Campesina, Serikat Petani Indonesia (SPI) brought the initiative to the regional and international level. The Declaration of the Rights of Peasants-Women and Men was produced during the International Conference of Peasants Rights in 2008 in Jakarta. After consultation with its members worldwide, La Via Campesina brought the initiative to the UN.

With the adoption of this resolution, the UN recognises that hunger cannot be addressed without peasants. Peasants play a key role in resolving hunger, poverty and problems linked with climate. This resolution recognises that the UN should engage in a process of deliberation among nations, and with peasants and other people working in rural areas.

Moreover,  the UN also set specific tasks for national governments to establish programs and policies to promote food sovereignty, to improve rural livelihood, and to protect peasants. National governments are recognised as legally responsible actors in human rights protection, especially concerning food, and the livelihood and peasants. If there are extraterritorial actors who bring about the above mentioned problem, the nation state is the first actor to respond.

Finally, the resolution also meant that now the UN recognises peasants—and other people working in rural areas as actors and parties with human rights to defend. The complete recognition covers smallholder farmers, agricultural workers, indigenous people, peasant women and landless people worldwide, fisher communities, the different groups working in rural areas, and in particular peasant farmers, small landholders, landless workers, fisher-folk, hunters and gatherers.

Henry Saragih, General Coordinator of La Via Campesina said, “The importance of this resolution for peasants and, more broadly, for the human rights agenda, cannot be underestimated. By adopting the resolution, we are also taking another major step forward towards the promotion and protection of the rights of peasants—and human rights and fundamental freedoms for all.”

But he warned that, “Even with this progress, peasants still face marginalization, extreme poverty and other violations. We are often criminalized, and represent the second most vulnerable group when it came to the danger of being killed for our activities in the defence of human rights, land rights and natural resources. Moreover, peasants face particular problems in terms of access to justice to protect them from acts that violate their basic rights and this leads to situations of generalized impunity.”

Ambassador Angelica Llanos from Bolivia said in her speech delivering the resolution in the Council, “Hunger, like poverty, was indeed still predominantly a rural problem and in the rural population it was those who produced food who suffered disproportionally, particularly in developing countries. The Advisory Committee concluded in its final study that existing international human rights instruments remained insufficient to fully protect the rights of peasants and other people working in rural areas.”

The Plurinational Republic of Bolivia delivered a first ever process for resolution and the follow-up for special protection for peasants in human rights mechanisms— working together with South Africa, Ecuador, and Cuba as a core group for this process.

Finally, the resolution stipulated that the UN Human Rights Council took the decision to establish an open-ended intergovernmental Working Group with the mandate of negotiating, finalizing and submitting to the Human Rights Council a draft United Nations declaration on the rights of peasants and other people working in rural areas on the basis of the draft submitted by the Advisory Committee.  La Via Campesina welcomes the resolution and shares with this core group their determination to develop the protection mechanism. The International Peasant Movement will continue to garner international cooperation with States, civil society and all relevant stakeholders to contribute actively and constructively to this initiative.

It is indeed a small victory for peasants all across the world. The struggle continues.

[1] Total votes: In favor (23): Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chile, China, Congo, Costa Rica, Cuba, Djibouti, Ecuador, Guatemala, India, Indonesia, Kyrgyztan, Malaysia, Peru, Philippines, Russian Federation, Thailand, Uganda, Uruguay.

Abstain (15): Botswana, Jordania, Kuwait, Libya, Maldives, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Nigeria, Norway, Qatar, Republic of Moldova, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Switzerland.

No (9): Austria, Belgium, Hungary, Italy, Czech Republic, Poland, Romania, Spain, United States

La Via Campesina
Via Campesina is an international movement of peasants, small- and medium-sized producers, landless, rural women, indigenous people, rural youth and agricultural workers. We are an autonomous, pluralist and multicultural movement, independent of any political, economic, or other type of affiliation. Born in 1993, La Via Campesina now gathers about 150 organisations in 70 countries in Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Americas.

International Operational Secretariat:
Jln. Mampang Prapatan XIV no 5 Jakarta Selatan, Jakarta 12790 Indonesia
 Tel/fax: +62-21-7991890/+62-21-7993426
 Email: viacampesina@viacampesina.org

1 Comment

Peace is real! Peace is real!

Re: Victory in hard-fought struggle in defense of the human rights of peasants..

This post was updated on .
             thank you UN for this instrument above, our local folks working the elements have suffered long enough, + we can do more.

             this is a good example to carry in thought as we reach out + do positive work, taking advantage of others networking as in our proposed project osic, soon to be uploaded as a pdf for all to review to trigger our calm thought, as we creative co_evolve, `boon with our natural world, giving us all the tools we need for sharpening our sensors as we maintain discipline over our self-sensory observation vs beleif that has left many chasing theri head, leaving their skin, as theri footprint hurt many. we no longer can allow this as we locally take resposibility, understand + apply solutions. this can be a good opportunity to link;

                                           OccupyWallSt.org

                       with their global noise event on October 13, 2012

                                       http://blog.globalnoise.net

sadly many have negative thoughts from those from Occupy that did do damage + where aggressive as it can happen in any group event.

but this is all the more reason we should walk side by side sharing a vibration of effciency as together we utilize what can be + is many in patches do as they simply live with respect for the natural world working within nature`s enhanced limits.

it is these good folks that refuse to take part in aggressive acts against any life, that will fuel our solutions as we reach out + network with the pockets still left without, locally + globally.

this is the time for us to share understanding of our conservation services when we work with good gauges as in agro-ecology, setting our path of obtaining local food/medicine sovereignty, not just for a few, but for all.

so if we are agressive in any of our acts, we only become part of the problem vs part of the solution. as many that feel US military should be the best with 5200 nuclear war heads, seriously does not understand how all life is dependent on linking globally are local balanced wild biomes with gentic bio-diversity for our existence to be healthy.

      every war anywhere that disrupts this ecological balance is part of the problem for everyone globally as it interfers in some life that requires migration + must stop.

we are simple + reach out to those of you to merge, unite, offer assistance so as together we organinze efficiently, preparing signatures of like mind, sharing understanding so we define if UN is to be held accountable to hold our government heads everywhere accountable, or if people unite + then have a stalemate of no election, as we write in what can work.

see our email sent out + we ask you to let it trigger your thought to make good links + share with us so we all can act efficiently;

http://i-come-to-talk-story.3220728.n2.nabble.com/we-have-solutions-please-take-a-review-of-what-i-sent-out-yesterday-corrected-today-to-trigger-your--td7559334.html

       we prefer + have been asking Barack Obama to answer our questions, as we hold him accountable in him saying he was wrong, with the green economy of 90 million, without a MOU supporting all local ecological assessments where energy farms where developed, so we keep our energy local + develop as supplements only to efficient use locally of our natural resources the right `way.

  so their are a lot of positions opened for jobs for people to understand these mistakes, understand how our fuel comes form working within nature`s limits locally for us to sustain.

  so in this correction we restore positions +

project osic now being reeditied to release soon triggers this thought as we welocme students out of schoolroom + into + with community + do just this,

       giving hands on to lose left behind as we restore rehabs + bring all to the cloth/table to network good science as we live within natures` enhanced limits.

look around you folks locally, can you image all that Mitt Romney did with his footprint in all his wealth, look at is ecological assessments + fair trade, you don't see them, as profit motivated, + yes as all that leave negative effects, we see Mitt`s being which is not very calm as Barack, + we need to give him human respect to heal + offer to him to become a local responsible participant so all cn become a local, global + beyond participant. it is people hungty without jobs that chase Mitt, due to not understanding how we are destroying our own health, our own fresh air, fresh water + fresh earth, not to mention alol the debree left in space. our tallies will show how we can restore + heal as people get clear to be fueled now to reach out + as many of us are over worked, help out + work into a sound centered carreer that gives each great respect + self - satisfaction as we cooperatively build community that is natural, where science is clear + words are few as acts are in harmony leaving reflections that can be felt to shift ones own energy. as music fills the air as we grip the issues 1 at a time.

not to mention Barack you are close behind in wanting a bigger military then Bush`s 700 million, + to see you shift in focus to perhaps surround China, as Hillary invites all these countries to merge, as if they need our support in these traffic ways of the goods, as in Wal Mart being supported by Barack + Bill Clinton buying products from China, is only hypocritical + we need an explanation. for even though Hillary i call you a blood queen, i do want to respect you to come aboard with us + see what you are doing is not the way. when yet your family + you can be such appreciated if you even just prioritize this above instrument + let nature guide what you do + your associates + helep them understand as you open to occupy wallstreet for it's origin of goodness as we unite + replace the missing links + those worn + torn + replace.

not with a revelotion of aggression as you folks have been part of, rather peace, calm + efficently create solutions that lift all above this mess. so we easily see tha parrallel paths of those working to taper off of what as yet in real time all is free to go figure.

      the pots pans to be hit on Oct 13, do represent many unable + without now + in past as many are yet to realize how we can remove our baggage + be freah + live in the now, when yet many still have nightmares or in pain everywhere, not just a undeveloped, rather so called developed countries have left so many behind.

        but i suggest this Oct 13th we stilll carry this pan, but allong with it technology of good fair trade + shift with time. we have networks to link if we carry these tools, have folks in each community in interchangeable roles build this network as peace continues to link fueling calming energy to act efficiently as more are fed, more have clean water, more is stopped as they understand the footprint, etc., + have in place an ability for signatures to be signed, so tallies are clear as we reach out sharing understanding + how we want to hold entities as in UN accountable to hold Washington + others accountable globally. as we look out for our human/life rights, dependent on our global linking of our wild areas as they gain balance of genetic bio-diversity + now work them sensitively as peasants/farmers/fisherfolks /locals stay in control. for only this `way can we co_evolve as the human species not to mention stop our disease + build our natural food/medicine now.

+ if they cannot or refuse, + continue to allow others to manipulate then our links will act responsibly saying to these folks no thanks we don't want your services or products + now our links can show how we can simply live as we cooperatively support the restoration of our local communites  share it globally.

for in the past + present many of us still support these ways unknowingly the threads linking them lead to disrespect for simple live in 1 way or the other.

we appreciate everyone everywhere to stop using weapons accept for personal hunt. + not support the market that gains as they short it supporting the war mode economy as well the false green economy that takes local resources + wastfully sends afar while locals are subjected to ill health from the process of how natural resources where taken + packaged, not to mention the unfair trade + ill working conditions.

please see our email to UN Sec Gen Ban - Ki moon , Barack Obama + World Bank President Jim Yong Kim that all are reaching out for sustainable solutions now, with all their resources available to them, Ban- Ki moon + Jim Yong Kim know they do not work. + let it trigger you, to see how efficiently we can clearly, as we propose in project osic to be uploaded soon, to tally locally a few priorities so not clearly we have the means to take power of ourself + if that is not allowed, we can make a deal, for that is all they appear to know as they manipulate unethically as gamblers.

as many have inside trading awareness, plyus they over come + buy out a company, then to gain as they short it taking a 20.00 stock down to a 1.00, which in our `plan, we bring all to a local tapering transition to show them how they can support good moded to reverse + restore within nature`s enhanced abilities, such as Prof Miguel Altieri in CA, does with agro-ecology working with indigenous, writing curriculum. + or Barry James in Red Ivory trading in S. Africa as he shows davinci`s way as he added that to his ability to develop within ecological limits yet be productive.

it is `ways like this that can trigger your sharp sensors + expand on this as we now create these understandings for people to heal, rid these layers of over regulations + allow these folks in this dysfunction as in Washington to help us deplete their waste created while we work at restoring our local communities, changing goverment as is, where now these people come back to their local community as a participant + their responsible role becomes an interchangeble role, still with their help, yet now it co_evolves with real life as each local community is restored + all natural resources are controlled by locals for locals.

so please enjoy the day, + responsibly see how you can create with us + share solutions as we link. + we welcome Barack Obama to admit his wrong doing + come with us now as we find a way to work together. can you Barack be happy without a military as we taper down? can you be happy Barack saying incomplete science allows business to export local resources? can you Barack say you will work with all now to change the world markets ability to manipulate, when yet simple guide lines locally established working within nature`s guidelines can stop each person from now acting as they did. instantly changing their ability as they taper into natures` limits. Barack why did Washington not vote for this instrument above at UN, this was wrong + our tallies will show the results.

Barack you have come a long `ways + it is right to stop anyone to have weapons as in Israel, when they after 15 years with dull sensors interfered, leaving negative effects. we need to help them sharpen their sensors + we have good minds if you open transparency + resolve solution within natures` enhanced limits, it is our ruling force now, not stored memory, as we define this path to communicate, not globally develop more military bases, that is paranoah..

rather lets utilize the goodness the world offers + help people understand the baggage vs reflection of life in real time as we communicate eye to eye with solutions that our virtual tools can help with. that i suggest carrying along with our pans as we make gentle music + share in celebration of waht we can do now + harness this disassociated energy that is trapped in all eating at our organs, + now as we shift + channel it we can define whom best to guide with their reflection so as to utilize right now real time + hold our ground. as we dance + send good energy in a variety of mediums, including to you Ban Ki-moon, to you Barack + to you Mitt + all leaders to become equal as a human family participant as we walk side by side + discuss truth, not continue programmed ways that have killed + injured many. not allow 15 years of dull sensors to destroy all int their path as they misuse/abuse due to our human ability to have a range of neuronal comprehension, yet only when centered will truth be healing. all else is deadly.

what does this mean ex;  the coal + natural gas businesses planned right here in our backyard in Oregon will not beable to do as they choose. as Doctors have already shown the ill effects left from other local communities with these in place, not to mention the ecological effect of high risk of life close by if such an accident on the river/bay/ocean, as has proved to happen. same with proposed wave energy in the crabbing areas, making it more difficult for locals to crab, etc. this list goes on.  as the PEU Foundation inaccurately uses fragmented science, as they tried to pursue more marine reserves, set aside areas, interfereing in locals ability to self-sustain as they fish for our food, already over regulated as NOAA allows National Fishereies + F+ W + a list to not let F+W + fisherfolks go directly to the table + make decision. same with farmers doing the same stopping monocultures, stopping exports, stopping GMO + other toxins to be used + now we have the right to use our own seed.. when yet other areas are in need, due to these unethicical practices being allowed globally, no more..

+ Barack + Bill Clinton pushing Wal Mart as they sell all these products as they are produced + packafed leaving big footprints. come on guys admit your wrong knowing + redirect with us, please. same you Ban Ki-moon. we can use your goodness + recycle resources now.

meanwhile community supporting your local fisher folks, we invite all to the next comment period in result to these changes made to the Maguson Stevens Act soon to come, down thru NOAA. as they made changes in response to our comments, + want us to again comment so together we can resolve.

when yet so many fisherfolks feel they are still manipulating + i see after they have allowed themself to be abused + could not stop it, they are having a hard time feeling good change could be made, so we must support all to calmely eliminate layers for siimple acts with good local discussions, not people afar controling their work area as they do know + not even let them fish in good weather as with halibut season openings, etc.

it takes young + old with sharp sensors to be persistant + follow thru with these worn torn threads for these people wanting to lead, are programmed + we much have compassion for these layers of misinformation that has programmed many as they need healing. we all need healing as we remove our baggage from all the earth`s scars.

yet we have an abundant of good energy, + good tools as with Nabbles` here we welcome you to use, with us or start your own, but don`t forget us, for we need to be efficient + we want to build an archive showing this restoration process so all can harmonize, explore this unique planet as we share what works starting with a pen pal, sharing thru Google + others, + heal, leaving no one left behind.

in project osic we suggest locals changing the curriculum to co_evolve as good science is lived as common sense + we enjoy the ethnic indigenous `ways that work building conservation services + create good technology based on these values of having simple respect for all life.

calm clear discussion along with good tools can leave a synergy of energy to reach out to even those without now, until we can reach them with more.

thank you! + enjoy! love kara

                     Peace is an option if we share it,
            `patches + `pockets everywhere are linking,
good folks are building this network along with their community's
                                       eye to eye...
  Join in and let's keep Nabble as a great tool to help all organize
 and link getting real needs met and offerings shared!

   We are transitioning w/your critical thinking using common sense;

       Prioritizing ridding toxic-resolving, w/all to restore healthy working communities locally and afar! Our virtual platform is free to all, as we create together an intro explaining, an archive and message board here on Nabble for education, for you to create with that also makes nice tourism and peace plan  for all to explore, as we save all life on earth and celebrate while doing it!!

 Thank you Nabble and Google, for sharing Humanity's solutions locally and afar to all earthlings!! We welcome you as we transition both sites!

                                      Nabble site;

    http://i-come-to-talk-story-welcomes-all-as-we-appreciate-the-many-sk.22.s1.nabble.com/

                            Google site, under construction!

         Please Donate if have to give, to our US 501.c3 Nonprofit Charitable Association; Label Donation. If want a tax receipt, please give us
                         your info and we will send you one;

            Email kara; farmwuwei@gmail.com

     If I can answer more, or you want to correct us or gather a group until we complete this, for further understanding, young or old, please do!

                           Thank you, for making a difference!
                              Love us at `i come to talk story