The Coastal Observation and Seabird Survey Team (COASST) will be having a training session in Charleston on Saturday, November 15th and in Port Orford on November 16th..

From: COASST [mailto:coasst@uw.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:02 PM
To: ANDREASEN Katherine
Subject: COASST: Beached bird trainings in Charleston and Port Orford

Hello!

The Coastal Observation and Seabird Survey Team (COASST) will be having a training session in Charleston on Saturday, November 15th and in Port Orford on November 16th, and we were wondering if you might be able to help spread the word to anyone you know who might be interested.

Below is some additional information about our program and the training session. If you have a listserv, could you potentially share it with your subscribers?  Also, if you are willing to post flyers at your location, please let us know, and we can send one in the mail right away. Additionally, we have attached PDFs of the flyers for both locations to this email.

Thanks in advance for your help! We really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Shannon Ro
COASST Intern

BEACHWALKERS & BIRDERS WANTED!

Help make a difference for the environment by collecting data for the Coastal Observation and Seabird Survey Team (COASST).  COASST is a citizen science project dedicated to involving volunteers in the collection of high quality data on the status of coastal beaches, and trends of seabirds. Our goal is to assist government agencies and other organizations in making informed management and conservation decisions, and promote proactive citizen involvement and action. COASST volunteers systematically count and identify bird carcasses that wash ashore along ocean beaches from northern California to Alaska.  Volunteers need NO experience with birds, just a commitment to survey a specific beach (about 3/4 mile) each month.

If you are interested in participating, join COASST staff for a full, 6-hour training session. Hear about how COASST started, learn how to use the custom Beached Birds field guide, and try out your new skills with some actual specimens.  There is no charge to attend a training, but plan to provide a $20 refundable deposit if you would like to take home a COASST volunteer kit complete with a COASST Beached Birds field guide. Training activities take place indoors.

Saturday, November 15 - Charleston, OR
11:00AM-5:00PM
Oregon Institute of Marine Biology - Birds and Mammals Classroom
63466 Boat Basin Road
Charleston, OR 97420

Sunday, November 16 - Port Orford, OR
10:00AM-4:00PM
Port Orford Library - Freedom of Speech Room
1421 Oregon Street
Port Orford, OR 97465

To reserve your spot at a training session, please contact coasst@uw.edu or 206-221-6893. If you can’t attend this event, please check our website at www.coasst.org or call 206-221-6893 for additional information on upcoming events and trainings.

--
COASST
Box 355020

2 Attachments of below can be obtained by contacting them; coasst@uw.edu

Preview attachment COASST Charleston.pdf
PDF
COASST Charleston.pdf
Preview attachment COASST Port Orford.pdf
PDF
COASST Port Orford.pdf