Please see Senator Merkley`s response to GM Salmon..

Dear Kara,

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns about genetically engineered (GE) salmon.  I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

As you may know, the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) recently made a proposed finding that certain GE salmon, the first GE animal produced for human consumption, will not pose a threat to the environment.  Like you, I have very serious concerns about the potential negative environmental and health impacts of GE salmon, particularly regarding the possibility of GE salmon escaping from their hatcheries and mating with wild populations, potentially causing permanent damage to the wild stock.

Protecting and restoring wild salmon populations is of vital importance to Oregon and the Northwest in many ways. Salmon are critical species in our ecosystem and are the foundation of recreational and commercial fishing industries, which make major contributions to our economy.

Last Congress, I worked with Senate colleagues to offer an amendment to the FDA reauthorization bill that would require that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and not just FDA, review and approve of genetically modified salmon for potential harm to wild fish stocks before they can be introduced. While the amendment was ultimately not agreed to, please know that I will continue to fight for this issue.

Thank you, again, for your input. I hope you continue to send your thoughts and observations my way.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator