AFSA - Alliance for Food Sovereignty in Africa

Please support, as these people can guide us to the reality from there experiences! Join in and see our Introduction as we recently came back online transitioning a startup plan that we feel can aid earthlings, so create with us, please!
Thank you for your work!
kara speaking for our `combined effects...

AFSA WEEKLY MEDIA DIGEST: June 23-30, 2022

AFSA - Alliance for Food Sovereignty in Africa
via mailchimpapp.net
Jun 30, 2022, 7:41 PM

AFSA WEEKLY MEDIA DIGEST: June 23-30, 2022

**  The AFSA Weekly Media Digest was created to provide AFSA members, partners, and supporters with timely and credible information on agroecology and food sovereignty movements in Africa and around the world. You'll get the English version of the weekly media digest every Friday and the Francophone media monitoring update every Wednesday. Both of these initiatives, we hope, will keep you abreast of the current regional and global realities and discourses shaping our food system, as well as spark conversations about a healthy and resilient future for people and our planet.
My Food is African: A campaign to improve health and support farmers
The Citizens and Agroecology Working Group (CAWG) of the Alliance for Food Sovereignty in Africa (AFSA) recently held a two-day physical meeting in Entebbe, Uganda, intending to have a deeper reflection on its activities over the last three years and develop a detailed plan of action for the next two years. The conference also discussed a campaign called "My Food Is African," which will start in September this year to celebrate the diversity and pride in African cuisines. A four-month campaign will be launched in ten African countries to encourage Africans to consume more local and traditional foods, not just for their health but also to help smallholder farmers.

My Food is African: A campaign to improve health and support farmers (https://www.ippmedia.com/en/features/my-food-african%20campaign-improve-health-and-support-farmers)

Putin’s invasion of Ukraine didn’t cause the food crisis. Capitalism did
Despite occupying less than 25% of the world’s farmland, small-scale farmers provide 70% of the world’s food. In a recent interview for an article published at open democracy, Leondia Odongo, co-founder of social justice organisation Haki Nawiri Afrik said that the organization is resisting the corporatisation of agriculture by assisting local farmers with technical knowledge. Teaching smallholder farmers practical skills allows them to reclaim agency over their land and crops. Similarly, In Zambia, FIAN is helping small farmers return to indigenous farming practices and seeds to build resilience and improve food security. By diversifying food systems and abandoning monocultures, small farmers can continue to provide enough food for their communities, and at lower costs.

  These small farmer movements are up against ‘Big Philanthropy’, such as the controversial Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which is replicating the Green Revolution corporate-first strategy.

Putin’s invasion of Ukraine didn’t cause the food crisis. Capitalism did

        (https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/oureconomy/global-food-emergency-small-farmers-putin-russia-ukraine/)

Nyéléni international launches new website
30th June 2022 – Nyéléni, the International Food Sovereignty movement has launched its new website (nyeleni.org) today to ensure easier accessibility and visibility to all the material and documents produced over more than 15 years of struggles and building the movement for Food Sovereignty. “ We are extremely thrilled about this new website. We are quite certain that it will be a key resource for all the people and organisations already involved in the struggle for Food Sovereignty or for all the ones who are looking for more information on this topic.” Said Shalmali Guttal, member of the Nyéléni newsletter Editorial Board for Focus on the Global South. The website, accessible in English, Spanish and French, is now more user-friendly, and mobile-compatible and it has a better search engine. The content has also been organised in three main sections: The International Food Sovereignty movement and newsletter, The Nyéléni newsletter, and The Nyéléni forums for Food Sovereignty.

Nyéléni international launches new website (https://nyeleni.org/en/homepage/)

Global biodiversity deal to halt nature loss stalls in Nairobi Efforts to draft an ambitious global agreement on halting nature loss ended Sunday with little progress made in the Nairobi negotiations, leaving limited time for brokering a biodiversity pact this year. About 1,000 negotiators from 150 countries were supposed to finalize a new draft agreement on protecting nature and wildlife, which would then be considered for adoption at the next U.N. Biodiversity summit, known as "COP15", in December in Montreal, Canada. But by Sunday's closing, the wording for only two of more than 20 goals had been agreed, with much of the draft document still riddled with brackets - signaling lack of consensus. Those two goals address the sharing of knowledge and technology, and promotion of urban green spaces.

Global biodiversity deal to halt nature loss stalls in Nairobi (https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/global-biodiversity-deal-halt-nature-loss-stalls-nairobi-2022-06-26/)

FAO Right to Food Newsletter People and the planet face several overlapping risks. These include conflict, climate change, disasters, and economic downturn. The cumulative effects of multiple shocks result in more poverty and inequality, and is putting the right to food of millions at stake. In this context, the latest issue of the FAO Right to Food Team newsletter reached out to Ian Jarratt from the Queensland Consumers Association to obtain his views on the importance of improving food price transparency and facilitating informed consumer choice through the provision of effective unit pricing.

FAO Right to Food Newsletter (http://newsletters.fao.org/q/16vsQxC21Ci/wv)

Meat, monopolies, mega-farms: how the US food system fuels climate crisis, Food production is caught in a battle between people and profits, as an increasingly industrialized system prioritizes low operating costs and high profits. In the US, nearly 40 million people don’t know where their next meal is coming from and food workers are some of the lowest paid in the country. Agriculture contributes less than 1% to GDP in the US – yet it is responsible for 11% of the country’s GHG emissions, polluted waterways and millions of acres of degraded land. “The US is such a huge contributor to climate change and we’re doing so pathetically little to address it, particularly in agriculture,” said Raj Patel, professor of public affairs at the University of Texas, Austin, and IPES-Food expert.

 This article examines five of the most pressing food and climate concerns confronting the United States and affecting the rest of the globe.
Meat, monopolies, mega-farms: how the US food system fuels climate crisis (https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jun/30/us-food-production-climate-crisis-meat-monopoly-farming)

** Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/afsafrica)
** Twitter (https://twitter.com/Afsafrica)
** Link (https://www.instagram.com/afsafrica/)
** Website (https://afsafrica.org/)
** (https://afsafrica.org/)
Copyright © *Alliance for Food Sovereignty in Africa* All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Alliance for Food Sovereignty in Africa
Plot 1742 Kigobe Road, Ntinda. P.O Box 571, Kampala Uganda. Tel 0414699149.

You can ** update your preferences (https://afsafrica.us11.list-manage.com/profile?u=38d9810f7a99b842df9939b7e&id=9c33c2a738&e=886ce876c9&c=c0debe1e67)